Friday, December 11, 2015

Amy Gonzalez, University of Texas-Pan American, Mechanical Engineering - Statement Regarding U.S. Supreme Court Decision to Hear Fisher v. The University of Texas

Amy Gonzalez, University of Texas-Pan American, Mechanical Engineering


(Music)
Amy Gonzalez, University of Texas-Pan American, Mechanical Engineering
Hi, my name is Amy Gonzalez. I attend the University of Texas-Pan American, UTPA,
and I am pursuing my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
My research involves defect detection on bearings, which is very crucial to railroad safety
because if a bearing develops a defect on a train, then that bearing can seize or it can stop rotating
and it can cause a derailment.
Safety is a big priority in any sort of transportation, but especially in railroads
because they travel through cross country delivering cargo to various places.
So, if a bearing fails in a city or just a train, in general, if something happens to it -
if they carry coal, it uses a combustible engine, it uses diesel fuel, so if something happens to that train
and it crashes into something, it could be a catastrophic disaster.
As a child, growing up and going to school, I've always been a really good student
and my mother has seen that in me and she's always -
"If you can do this, go ahead and try to do it. Whatever you want to do, possibilities are endless."
I'm the first generation to go to the university and get my degree.


Statement Regarding U.S. Supreme Court Decision to Hear Fisher v. The University of Texas



I'm Bill Powers. I'm the president of The University of Texas at Austin.
Today, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari,
that is decided to hear the case
in a case called Fisher v. The University of Texas.
It deals with our admissions process.
We have a holistic admissions process
that helps us serve all of the populations of the state of Texas.
It is very narrowly tailored,
and it follows previous statements by the U.S. Supreme Court
on how an admissions process meets
our constitutional requirements
and we will continue to make those points
as we proceed with this litigation
so we can best serve the people of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.